Minnesota Thunder Academy West Referee Home
Welcome to the MTA West Referee Home page. Here you will find all of your refereeing needs, including how to become a registered referee, how to attend certification and recertification clinics, how to get assigned games and key contact information.
Program Mission Statement:
It is the primary goal of the MTA West Referee Program to provide opportunities for referees of all levels to enjoy refereeing, advance their skills and ultimately assist in the development of referees.
Referee Assignor - Matt Tiano. Email
Director of Referee Mentoring - John Hagenstein. Email
Become a Referee
NEW referees, click here
Returning referees, click for 2012 Certification requirements
All officials - MTA West will be using GameOfficials.net for all assignments. Click here to create a GameOfficials account (Group # is 1066, Access Code is SSM)
Step-by-Step MTA West Registration of GameOfficials.net
1. Go to GameOfficials.net.
2. Click on New Official? (Left hand navigation bar).
3. Read through the page, then enter the group number (1066) and access code (SSM).
4. Enter your basic contact information and submit.
5. The site will redirect you to the main GameOfficials.net page. Sign in with your new user name and password.
6. Read through and agree to the terms of service.
7. Choose your security questions.
8. Fill out the user form. Read notes below.
a. All information can be listed as private. Only MTA Referee administration will be able to access this data. Please enter all contact information to help us contact you in case of late game change or other emergencies. Please enter a mailing address as well.
b. MTA does not require you to enter your SSN into the system.
c. Cell / Pager / Email Notices: This allows you to edit how you will receive new game notices. Cell phone notices are not required and your carrier may charge you for each message sent from the system.
9. You are now in the MAT Assigning system. Make sure to enter your Preferences ("My Preferences" in left-hand navigation) and Availability (instructions below).
a. You must indicate you’d like to do games for MTA West by "certifying" yourself (My Preferences-->League/Tournament Preferences-->select MTA West seasons).
b. Please enter your availability and update it as it changes. You must enter dates in which you ARE available. If you don’t specifically indicate that you ARE available for a specific date, you will NOT be assigned games. Scheduling Preferences is NOT where you enter availability. See the left hand navigation bar for the Availability section. More information is below in the FAQ.
c. Any miscellaneous information related to the assignment process can be found in the "My Preferences" section under "Misc Preferences / Notes."
10. Read through the FAQ for answers to many questions you may have.
I use GameOfficials.net with another assigning group. How can I join the MAT Assigning group?
How do I enter my availability?
How often do I need to update my availability?
How do I decline a game I have already accepted?
Where can I print off my schedule?
Can I self assign myself to open games?
Question: I use GameOfficials.net with another assigning group. How can I join the MTA West group?
On the right hand navigation bar, click My Assignors. Under the "Join New Group" heading, enter our group number () and access code ().
Question: How do I enter my availability?
1. Click My Availability in the left hand navigation bar.
2. Select a date.
3. Choose Available or Unavailable. Note: You must enter dates in which you ARE available. If you don’t specifically indicate that you ARE available for a specific date, you will NOT be assigned games. You may also indicate what days you aren’t available, but the system will assume unavailable unless you specifically indicate otherwise.
4. Choose which group you are available for. If you only use GameOfficials for games refereed for MTA West, you may leave this blank.
5. Enter a note if you wish to add a comment to your availability (e.g., "game at Crestwood immediately prior").
6. Click Save (Add Entry).
7. Your new entry will appear as text below, and graphically in the upper left corner of the availability page (unavailable days will be marked in red; available will be marked green).
There are some advanced options (including entering a date range, entering specific times for an entry, deleting an entry, etc.). These options are covered in detail as part of this video tutorial.
Question: How often do I need to update my availability?
Every time it changes! Please remember to update your availability when you become unavailable at any given time.
Question: How do I decline a game I have already accepted?
By accepting an assignment, you are expected to honor it. While emergencies do arise, frequent declining of assignments after previous acceptance will result in the referee not being selected for future assignments.
If an emergency does arise, you must email the referee assignor AND you must call the referee assignor.
Question: Where can I print off my schedule?
You can print off your assigned games, as well as other reports in the Reports section of GameOfficials, accessed via the left-hand navigation of the site. Make sure you read through the settings in order to print in the correct format.
Question: Can I self assign myself to open games?
While you can view open games in the Open Games section (accessed via the left-hand navigation), you cannot self-assign yourself to these games. If you wish to be considered for these assignments, email the referee assignor